Friday, May 6, 2011

Rivaling the Romans



Today we went to Dzibilchaltun. Say it how ever you want because I have no idea. It's Maya and I think I would do better to just to hear it and not try to work out how in the world you pronounce this. It is one of the smaller Mayan people ruins. The Dzibilchaltun Mayan lived there. So here are some photos. The guide talked about a few things, but it was so hot that really, I can't remeber a thing besides the fact that Im tired.




This picture is the templeo de los seite munecas, I believe. (There should be a mark above the 'n', fyi), or the seven dolls. Don't wonder or ask because I have no idea. The temple is the orginal building. The steps and older temple walls were excavated away to should the inner temple. The Mayan people for the majority just kept adding layers to their temple over hundereds of years, so the archeologists have to determine which layer to keep.

Most of the other ruins were dilapated buidings such as palaces, ball courts, etc. Also we were able to swim in a cenote, or sink hole. The water is amazingly clear and refreshing.






Later we went to Progreso, and had lunch at my senora's beach house. It was great. Burned. Badly burned. Didn't think I could actullay burn that bad, but it happened. And now Im off the bed.




Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment